St John's Sutton-at-Hone

The parish of St John's Sutton-at-Hone lies mainly on the west side of the river Darent, with some 4,250 residents primarily across Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley. The first church was erected pre-1066 and was rebuilt in the early 14th century. After a fire in the thatched roof in 1615, the building was restored. Much of the present day woodwork, including the pulpit, dates from that time. Charred timbers still remain in the old floor of the bell ringers' chamber. The stained glass windows were installed in 1862. The east window was damaged in the Second World War and restored using the original glass. The church has twelve hatchments (diamond shaped funeral panels) dating back to 1760, which are among the finest in this part of the country.

Within the church there is an impressive monument to a 16th century resident and local benefactor, Sir Thomas Smythe. The monument was recently refurbished and the Skinners Company were most helpful in obtaining funding for this. The monument was rededicated on Advent Sunday 2014 by the Bishop of Riochester, the Right Reverend James Langstaff.

St John's is large enough to accommodate the school's 400+ children and can be reconfigured to host local choirs and other performers. We have also hosted Dartford Concert Band, Jazz evening and "The Benefice Has Talent".

Sutton Court, a large house with meeting rooms, a hall, and a residential flat along with a car park belongs to the church and plays a vital part in our village community life. It is home to Messy Church which meets once a month and our weekly Carer and Toddler group. It is also hired out by various other regular groups and for individual parties and meetings. If you are interested in hire of Sutton Court or would like to know more, please get in touch (see the "Contact Us" page).